In my opinion, Richard is not a "bad" boy. Yes, he does do many things that are inappropriate such as kill a cat, wander to saloons, get drunk, run away from an orphanage, and yell obscenities and write naughty words on windows. That could be enough evidence to point and say, yes, Richard is a "bad" boy, but in my opinion, he just didn't know any better. His actions were based on his surrounding environment.
Behavior should be blamed on the person when that person has grown up in an environment where there have been strict lines distinguishing between right and wrong. On the other hand, behavior should be blamed on environment when children are deprived of time with their parents and no one has told them the difference between what is socially acceptable and what isn't. Their behavior comes from only seeing and doing what they are told because they are naive and ignorant of how their actions effect others because no one has told them differently.
4 comments:
Natalie K! You're blog is wonderful! I agree that Richard can't be called a "bad boy." When you pointed out that there must be strict lines distinguishing right between wrong in order for the behavior to be unexcusable,I thought that was a really good point. Great job! Oh and I really enjoyed "yell obscenaties and write nauthy words on windows."
♥ Anna
Natalie,
I completely agree with all of your ideas! I really like the connection between Richard doing bad things and the absence of his parents, i never thought about it that way before.
I agree with all of your ideas! You put into words what I tried desperately to, yet could not. I really like your ideas about a person only being blameable(is that a word?) if they grew up in a situation where they know right from wrong. Your ideas were very persuasive!
Natalie,
Though I agree with all of your ideas, who do we blame when someone does something that is more serious than just scribbling bad words on the walls? If someone grows up in a bad home, where they were not taught right from wrong, and somewhere along the way they commit murder, what do we do? Just let him off the hook because of his troubled childhood? Certainly, if he is not to blame, he is still guilty. I think the same goes for Richard, even though his crimes were petty.
Your ideas were very good and I enjoyed reading your blog.
Post a Comment