Saturday, December 22, 2007

Lying.

Is lying ever justified? Or ever ethically correct? I guess this question will always come to mind and has throughout history. I do not believe that lying is ethically correct and one should always tell the truth. As to if it's ever justified, I believe there are some situations where one must choose to just not say everything and bite their tounge. Lying is a horrible thing and can ruin friendships, families, schools, companies... etc. Sometimes the honest truth is hard, but it seems that it's the only way to be true to yourself and others around you.
Have a great break everybody. Enjoy.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Natalie. I agree with you. Being truthful is usually the best way to go but it is indeed sometimes benificial to "bite your tongue." Also I liked how you mentioned the negative effect that lying had on relationships.

A.G.McKamey said...

I like how you really pointed out the negative side to things, but aren't there times when lying can have a bit of a benefit? If Beatrice and Benedick had never heard lies about one another being in love they would have never admitted they really do like each other. And what about white lies? Like when I feel awful (and probably look it) I like to hear my friends tell me I still look great rather than restating what I already know. Can't it help others? I really think you do have a good point saying that the honest truth is the best, but can you tell someone the honest truth without being brash? Can it be too much in delicate situations?

Good post! It really made me think! :)

Anonymous said...

nice post natalie! i thought your post was very good. And i liked how you portrayed the truth as being harsh, but sometimes being the only way to truly get out of sticky situations. Also, i thought that the part about the families and companies, and friends that lie was good to, because it is so true. EVERYONE LIES! Even though we all know that the truth is probably the best thing that comes out of our mouths.
good post natalie, and fun times blowing today too.

Nora said...

I enjoyed reading this post. I agree with you that lieing is ethically wrong and that it can be destructive, but you say sometimes its okay to lie, what kinda times are we talking about. Overall I believe that lie is taking the easy way out and I think thats what your getting at.

Kelley D. said...

I agree that the truth can be hard, but overall it always the best way to go. i do also think that lying can be justified, when its to help someone not hurt. good post!